One-size-fits-all calorie recommendations do not work. They must be customized to each individual.
that can be considered. It should be seen as the exception rather than the rule.
The Weight Loss Plateau
This is why most of us reach a weight loss plateau.
- increased cardio,
- weight training,
- ‘cheat’ meals (i.e. occasional high-calorie meals),
- cycling (or zig-zagging) calories,
- even manipulating macro-nutrient ratios can all help to do this (don’t forget adequate sleep and hydration).
Minimum Daily Calorie intake
When reducing calories:
What happens when calories are too low?
- Muscle mass is broken down for energy (catabolism).
- Metabolic rate will begin to drop (typically) after 3 days of very low calories – this is related to, and compounded by the loss of muscle mass.
- With very low calories you risk sluggishness, nutritional deficiencies, fatigue, and often irritability.